What do yoga, a mid-afternoon nap, and puppy snuggles all have in common? Any of these three activities could help improve the appearance of your skin.
You’re likely wondering, “How can playing with puppies make my skin look better?” It all comes down to stress. Everyday stressors – including your obnoxious boss or feeling unprepared for bikini season – can have an unexpected effect on your skin. By lowering your stress through daily R&R, you can reduce the impact of these stressors on your skin and improve your appearance.
How Stress Impacts the Skin
Stress is bad for your health. We all know this, but when life gets busy, it can be difficult to find your inner peace. Stress affects every part of the body, from the circulatory system to the skin.
How does stress impact the skin?
- Increases inflammation: Inflammation is your body’s response to a perceived threat. It can be useful in fighting viruses and bacteria and healing injuries, but is less helpful when your body unleashes this response due to stress.
- Exacerbate existing skin conditions: Stress can worsen many skin conditions; some of the most common include eczema, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, rosacea, and acne.
- Decrease in healthy habits: When you’re feeling particularly stressed about a big project at work or relationship woes, it is easy to let some of your health habits slide. You may be less diligent at your removing your makeup, cleaning your skin, and hydrating. These little omissions in your daily schedule can have a significant adverse impact on your skin.
If you’ve ever noticed your acne always seems flare up before a blind date, or find yourself struggling with a psoriasis outbreak after a major presentation, you’ve seen firsthand the impact of stress on your skin. Reduce your stress so you can get back to giving your body the TLC it needs to thrive.
Manage Your Stress and Your Skin
Reducing stress offers undeniable for your skin and overall health, but it isn’t a surefire plan for a perfect complexion. Stress reduction works best when paired with a healthy lifestyle, good skincare, and regular cosmetic treatments to offset the aging process.
Some of our favorite minimally invasive skin treatments include the following.
- Botox: Say goodbye to stubborn wrinkles with Botox. We love this wrinkle-erasing treatment for lines around the eyes, forehead, and brows.
- Dermal fillers: Restore shape and volume to the face with fillers. These injectable treatments will keep your skin looking fresh and vibrant.
- Facials: Facial treatments are an excellent way to enhance your skin and relax at the same time.
Dr. Stanton and our team can help you create a skincare program so your skin always looks its best.
Go ahead, snuggle that puppy or head to the beach. Your skin will thank you. But when stress reduction isn’t enough, call Dr. Ryan Stanton at (310) 278-0077. Our Beverly Hills plastic surgery office offers the latest treatments in skincare and rejuvenation.